Planting Grass Seed for New Lawns in Spring
Planting grass seed properly will promote green lawns to enjoy for years to come. Meadows Farms suggests the following technique for establishing new lawns
Prepare soil for grass seed
- Remove all debris from planting area
- Rototill topsoil
- Add 1-2 inches of Meadows Farms topsoil. (One cubic yard of topsoil cover 100 square 3 inches deep)
- Rake smooth
- Apply Fastlime at the rate of 30 pounds per 5,000 square feet
Select Grass Seed
Fescue is the best type of grass seed for lawns in the Meadows Farms service areas. You should determine how much sun the new grass will get during the growing season. We carry Pennington Smart Seed & Rebels in our Garden Centers.
Plant the Seed
- Use a broadcast spreader to distribute the grass seed at the rate of 6 pounds per 1000 square foot
- Spread evenly
- Gently rake, working seed into the soil about 1/4"
- Apply a thin layer of straw
Watering New Seed
- Water daily to keep soil moist
- Do not allow the top1/2" to dry until seedlings have completely germinated
- Once grass becomes established, reduce watering to 1/2'" two times per week
- Mow when grass reaches 3-4"