LITTLE BLUESTEM “STANDING OVATION” ORNAMENTAL GRASS
Ornamental grasses are putting on quite a show here in August. Personally, there is one ornamental grass that is a standout above all other grasses. It is SCHIZACHYRIUM ‘STANDING OVATION’ or commonly called “Little Bluestem.” The name is very fitting for this grass because it does stand out amongst all other grasses.
Little Bluestem is a native cultivar to North America. It was discovered in Pennsylvania and is hardy from zones 3 to 8 (we are zone 7 in Central Virginia).
Here are some more interesting tidbits with Standing Ovation:
- You will want to plant ornamental grass in full sun with rich, well-drain soil.
- Little Bluestem will grow to be 36” – 48” tall with a 12” to 15” width.
- All ornamental grasses provide food and shelter to birds, butterflies, and other wildlife.
- All ornamental grasses, which include Little Bluestem, are considered deer tolerant.
- Grasses are heat and drought tolerant.
- Little Bluestem maintains a tight upright growing habit throughout the season.
- Little Bluestem has no known pests or diseases.
- Stems are good as cut flowers in arrangements.
- Little Bluestem has bluish-green leaves that turn to shades of orange to purple in the fall.
Once you come to see this grass you will fall in love with it as I have this year. And, as a surprise bonus, all of our Ornamental Grasses are on sale now through the 15th.
HAPPY AUGUST GARDENING!!!!