Early Spring is ideal for planting grass seed for starting new lawns or repairing lawn damage from the winter. Meadows Farms recommends the following steps for creating a beautiful green lawn.
Prepare the soil
Bare Spots and New Lawns
- Remove all debris from planting area
- Add 1″ of Bloom Soil ( one cubic yard of Bloom Soil will cover approximately 300 square feet inch deep)
- Rake smooth
- Mow lawn as short as possible
- Rake thoroughly to remove thatch
- Aerate lawn to allow better air and water penentration into soil
Fertilize planting area
- Use Pennington Lawn Starter per label recommendation
- Apply Fast Acting Lime 30 pounds per 5000 square feet.
Select and planting seed
- Select grass seed based on light and traffic
- Spread seed evenly with a broadcast spreader
- Gently rake, working seed into soil about 1/4″
- Water daily to keep soil moist
- Do no allow top 1/2″ of soil to dry out until seedlings have fully emerged
- once grass becomes established , reduce watering to 1/2″ twice a week.